[Tango-L] R-E-S-P-E-C-T

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 10 17:34:16 EST 2009

In the interest of civility of discussion on this list, I would like to suggest that we all think carefully about our use of certain loaded expressions.  Two that come immediately to mind are the terms "traditional tango" and "social tango".   Whose tradition are you talking about?  Tango as danced in 1920? 1930?  Villa Urqueza?  BsAs today?  And by which dancer or set of dancers?  It appears to me that both "traditional tango" and "social tango" are often used as code to mean 'close embrace all the time tango'.

Such use would seem to ignore the fact that, as has been oft noted in this list, the nuevo style of tango actually contains no "new" movements!  All modern tango movement can be found, or its roots found, in the dance of years past.  So perhaps nuevo is actually quite traditional and perhaps it is insulting to those who dance "modern tango" to be told that they are not dancing with respect for the traditions of tango.

Similarly, the use of "social tango" to mean only close embrace, or at least to exclude a number of the modern tango movements, appears to reflect ignorance of the fact that modern tango is not based on choreography and patterns.  It is not "show tango".  Rather, it is purely lead-follow, is danced socially for your self and your partner, and is based on invention to a degree at least equal to that of close embrace all the time tango.  To suggest otherwise can be quite insulting to one who has worked to attain the level of skill required to dance modern.  A simple example that should be clear to all on this list is the volcada.  This is not a pattern at all.  Every degree of sweep of the woman's leg, the amount of extension, the timing, whether it goes to cross, steps out without the cross or is reversed mid sweep, every aspect is led.  So why should one who has worked to attain the requisite skill level to lead or follow this be told that he/she is not dancing socially?  The level of heart-to-heart connection required to execute a beautiful volcada is certainly equal to that required to execute a beautiful ocho cortada.  And the volcada, as is true with any other "modern" motion, need not occupy any more floor space than an ocho cortada.

Finally, I'll mention the lead.  A good modern tango dancer nearly always leads with his chest, his core and his heart.  If my partner is to my side, I still lead with my heart and my core.  I don't ever shove her with my arms.  The arms are merely the extension of my core and provide the instantaneous connection between my heart and hers.  Yes, I do use my arms, my wrists, my fingers, but the lead is from my core.  The rest just adds nuance.  Again, it is both insulting and inaccurate to say that modern tango, when danced well, is not led with the heart and the chest.

Although we may differ in our preferred styles, I think that we should respect our fellow dancers and think carefully about our language.

Yours in tango

D. David Thorn