[Tango-L] Smooth Tango :: Two tone wingtips do not a leader make

Alex alex at tangofuego.us
Fri Feb 6 09:33:59 EST 2009

Klaus (Wien) wrote: [as "Smooth Tango"]

.Over recent time I have watched Mario search to find dancers, and
.dances, that move him - though often I do find myself not in
.agreement with his choice. Then my sister pointed out this guy on
.youtube to me (see links under) She says she luckily danced with him
.in Poland once. I do agree with her - smooth, musically inventing,
.passionate and close connected. Maybe one day I can dance so smooth ..
.practice, practice?

I, too, was never impressed with anything from Mario, but I would also have
to say I was not impressed with the dancing of this gentleman (In Klaus'
videos). I didn't see anything "smooth, musically inventive, passionate, and
close connected". I didn't see anything that I would "admire" or "aspire to"
in his dancing.

But then again, he is dancing open embrace/salon style, and only momentarily
coming into close embrace from the few seconds of each video I watched. I
aspire to close embrace, milonguero style. If Klaus' example leader is
"close connected", then what I aspire to is dancing inside of each other's
souls.

I'm just offering a differing/dissenting opinion - It's interesting how some
can see a dancer as someone they want to emulate, and others, like me, as
seeing the same dancer as 'good, but not great'. Perhaps this is natural in
the evolution of each individual's tango path.

The following video, of Osvaldo Zotto y Lorena Ermocida (in Confiteria
Ideal) to me, *is* "smooth, musically inventive, passionate, and close
connected" :: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9mGaSPm97A although it's
obviously not milonguero style. Ricardo Vidort would fall into that
category.

There are lots of other examples (of smooth tango) out there as well.

Alex
www.alextangofuego.blogspot.com