[Tango-L] The Definition of Tango Nuevo (1 of 2)

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Mon Dec 28 22:21:28 EST 2009

Perhaps I'm being somewhat masochistic by taking on the "mother of all
questions" ("What is nuevo?"). Anyway, I don't claim to be able to
answer the question, as if anyone could in a universally accepted way,
but will add my perspective. And to be clear, I am only addressing the
dance aspect of Tango Nuevo and not Tango Nuevo music.

But first, let me quote two other attempts at addressing this (with
which my perspective overlaps little, if at all):

"Brian Dunn" <brianpdunn at earthlink.net> wrote (on Dec 11, 2009 for those
who want to reread the whole post):

> "Nuevo" Vocabulary:
> Let's make this unequivocal! The video must include volcadas, colgadas,
> boleos, enganches, ganchos, and back sacadas.

This was in the context of RonTango's "video challenge." So Brian does
not claim that this *defines* nuevo (the figures of volcadas, colgadas,
boleos, enganches, ganchos and back sacadas), but at least in terms its
outward dance manifestation, this would presumably be the way to
identify it if you saw it. Let's take these in reverse order. Brian
defines these figures in his post, but I'll repeat his definitions only
when I have a specific comment about the definition:

BACK SACADAS: This is a performance Tango figure and has been done for
ages in stage performances (so not nuevo in the sense of being
particularly new). Close embrace dancers do not use it, as it cannot be
done in a close embrace. (Anecdote: Fabian Salas at a workshop many
years ago "proved" that some teachers' emphasis on keeping the chests of
the partners together and parallel "had to be wrong" as it would be
impossible to do a back sacada if you insisted on this. More on Fabian
Salas in Part 2 ...)

GANCHOS (AND ENGANCHES): Again, a long-standing performance figure. Very
rarely done in traditional Tango, mostly because it is considered bad
form (first explained to me, much to my disappointment at the time, by
Graciela Gonzalez during my kindergarten days in Tango at the Stanford
Tango Week, JUST AFTER she had finished teaching a class in it!).
However, Norberto Esbrez "El Pulpo" took ganchos to a new level by
incorporating them into almost everything he did, a lot of which could
be done subtly and even in crowded social settings. It is "nuevo" in the
sense that it went beyond traditional Tango and added innovations
(genius, I would even say), but it predated what is currently thought of
as nuevo by several years, and seems to have made little inroads into
actually being incorporated into what people do (perhaps because it is
difficult and also freaks out your partner if she is not familiar with
and reasonable accomplished at it!).

BOLEOS: Described in Brian's post as "Complete and possibly sudden
reversal of direction of motion, either translational or rotational, of
one or both partners, possibly with feet elevated off the floor." Boleos
are definitely not nuevo, with the exception of linear boleos
("translational"). It has long being in the canon of standard Tango.
They can easily be done in crowded social settings as they can be made
as subtle and as low as necessary--indeed they are extremely useful in
crowded settings as it allows a change of rotational directional at
short notice. However, some comments on the above definition: (1) Boleos
must be lead (except in a performance setting where one can do
autonomously what looks like a boleo to the spectator), so both partners
cannot do it, unless they are exchanging lead and follow roles during
the dance. (2) Feet elevated off the floor is a hallmark of performance
Tango, where drama and visibility to the audience is of prime
importance, but there is nothing fundamental to the boleo of having the
feet (presumably just one at a time :-)) off the ground.

COLGADAS: OK, this one is very much considered a nuevo figure with no
precedent in traditional Tango (social or performance). (Separate post,
or perhaps rant, may be coming up one of these days on why it is
destroying good Tango technique for a generation of dancers, but it is
not related to this subject of "What is nuevo?")

VOLCADAS: People are so used to saying "colgadas and volcadas" in one
breath, that they are treated as two sides of the same "nuevo coin." I
couldn't agree less, but I suspect my contention that volcada is not
really "nuevo" will be more controversial than similar statements for
boleos and others above. However, I can't claim this position all to
myself since Guillermina Quiroga made this point some years ago at a
workshop I took from her. I happen to agree with this position (even if
I can't justify it with as much authority as she can). The basic concept
of pressure and contact at the chest with more space at the feet is as
old as anything in Tango. In fact a "volcada" version of back ochos, for
example (first taught to me by Sebastian Arce & Mariana Montes), where
there is very little rotation of the hips on up, is very milonguero and
very good "cross-training" for ochos and giros in a close-embrace
position where the woman's hips and upper body similar turn very little
relative to the man's frame. What's different in what is taught as
volcada these days, other than the name, is that the movements are
amplified and often exaggerated, to the point that the woman's lean
forward is often referred to as (and, when badly taught, feels like, to
the sometimes hapless man who didn't think he had led one) a "falling
forward," and the depth of the movement and lean is amplified. But it's
a dramatic and fun figure, sexy looking and relatively easy to do in its
basic form, so the popularity of the nuevo version is understandable.

Take all of this together and the aforementioned "nuevo" vocabulary,
with the exception of the colgada, is not so nuevo after all, but rather
much more about (a) performance figures, (b) standard figures done in a
performance mode, and (c) exaggeration of positions and movement size
(also a characteristic of performance tango). Performance dancing is
SUPPOSED to be big--that's the only way the person with the cheap seats
in the last row of the second balcony can see anything interesting at
all. Navigation amongst other dancers on the floor, if there are others,
is a non-issue in performance (it's choreographed).

So if what is being described as "nuevo vocabulary" overlaps so much
with performance priorities and vocabulary, it should not come as a
surprise to anyone that nuevo dancers are considered menaces on even a
slightly crowded dance floor, since dancers trying to do a performance
(i.e., big, fast, dramatic, without any need to consider the presence of
others) on a crowded dance floor would absolutely be menaces.

Now that would not be MY definition of what nuevo is, but in Brian's
defense he has correctly identified what many consider as being nuevo
(the practitioners as well as their "victims"), just based on what one
sees being danced and taught).

Amaury de Siqueira <amaurycdsf at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Nuevo MUST be understood for what it REALLY is.? A social movement within an art form to repudiate, deny, change, or to simply cope with 'MUFA'.
> Nuevo IMHO is just that -- a cry from the new generation of artist trying to infuse a new set of? emotions in this beautiful art form.? Such cry is bound to find sympathizers from all sides (young, old, etc...).

Here we have the other extreme in the definition range, one that tries
to distance itself from the sordid details of what people actually do,
and seeks to find the artistic soul behind the "nuevo movement." It's a
very romantic vision, certainly, of an unheard group of talented artists
struggling to have their art be given a chance amid the repressive
forces of conservatism and the establishment.

No doubt many artistic movements can be described in this way (certainly
in some musical forms, and to a VERY small extent even in Tango
music--I'm talking about contemporary Tango music when I say "very
small" since there was certainly notable oppression, especially in the
lyrics, earlier in the history of Tango music). But there is little if
any evidence to suggest that "nuevo" Tango in its dance manifestation
has had any measurable impact from such a movement. On the contrary, no
nuevo dancer with any degree of impact has "repudiated or denied"
classic Tango--on the contrary they embrace it, and yes, want to EXTEND
it, but do not reject it. And people who dance "nuevo" do so because
they like the way it looks and/or the way it feels, and for SOME of them
the fact that it's different and new may add some further spice, but it
comes down to basic "feel good" motives, rather than a plaintive
angst-ridden cry for reform.

So since I don't like either of these two versions of defining "nuevo,"
what is my version? Well, explaining my thoughts on the above took
longer (space and time) than I thought it would, so enough writing for
one day ... to be continued ....

Shahrukh