[Tango-L] Fwd: who's really qualified to teach

hbboogie1@aol.com hbboogie1 at aol.com
Mon Dec 28 20:42:40 EST 2009

From: HBBOOGIE1 at aol.com
To:  tango-l-owner at mit.edu
Sent: 12/28/2009 4:42:20 P.M. Pacific Standard  Time
Subj: who's really qualified to teach

Tango Teachers  are a strange lot. One thing they all have in common is a
lack of certification,  wait a minute …. They don’t need any certification.
Lets see I’ve had six group  classes with a local teacher I feel like I
dance pretty good I think I’ll have  some business cards printed up with a slick
picture of me in tango attire and  start teaching.
I’ve witnessed this time and again and it really ticks me off  and it’s
not only the beginners who profess to be teachers but it’s also those  who
claim to be experienced who have traveled to or originated from BsAs and
studied under many of the great dancers.
I’ve traveled to BsAs many times and  studied with the great Roberto
Herrera. Wow that would look good on my resume  but the truth is I had one group
lesson with Roberto in 2002. Am I qualified to  teach…No

What I do when choosing a teacher is watch them dance and decide  for
myself if I feel they are good dancers and more important are they teaching  a
style I like.
A good example for me would be Facundo Posadas I love how he  dances and
wanted to learn all I could about his style.
I know what you’re  thinking…just because someone dances well doesn’t mean
they can teach well.  You’re absolutely right. I’ve had classes (class)
with great dancers who were  not good instructors. It’s your job to determine
if that teacher is the one for  you. You being a pretty experienced dancer
can make that informed decision but  what about that poor beginner who doesn’
t know the difference between good and  bad tango?
This is a problem all over the world and it’s not going to go  away. So
what can we as a tango community ? Make a black list and pass it out at
milongas warning people about certain teachers we don’t like? I don’t think  so.
Post their names and locations on tango forums? Not a good idea. Hire a
guy named Big Tony to break their legs? That one could work…..Probably  not

Okay so what’s the solution? I don’t know if there is a solution. I  do
know that it produces bad dancers that disrupt the floor for the rest of us.
I just had an idea…. Getting into a milonga could require taking a test
like  the SATs for getting into college.
Score too low go back and learn more floor  craft.
Oh well just wishful thinking.

Do you think back in  1885 in San Telmo at the regular Saturday night
Milonga they would sit around  the dance floor drinking Mate and bitching about
the new guy doing the high  boleos and not respecting the line of dance….NO,
someone would whip out a knife  and cut him…ahhh the good old days.