[Tango-L] Milongas by age difference?

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 28 05:29:43 EST 2009

> From: Alexis Cousein <al at sgi.com>
>
> > --- On Mon, 12/21/09, Brian Dunn wrote:
> >> My main point is that people tend to go to classic
> >> milongas to RELAX, and people tend to go to
> >> practicas to GET BETTER >

Sandhill Crane replied:

> > Something yanks my chain here -- it's the implication that
> > people who go to the milongas aren't GETTING BETTER.>

Alexis Cousein then commented

> Yeah, it yanks my chain as well. If you dance in a confined
> place, it can be to improve your connection (to your partner
> or to the music) by practicing "less is more" rather than
> steps; it can also be to improve your improvisational and
> your navigational skills ... > >

I competely agree with Sandhill and Alexis and am really
surprised that Brian wrote what he did. Yes, practicas are
useful for improving. But, IMHO, dancing in the milongas is
absolutely ESSENTIAL for improvement to take place and,
again IMHO, most improvement actually takes place in the
milongas.

Perhaps this is just another difference between nuevo
dancers and those who dance more traditional tango.

Jack