[Tango-L] Abusing the available space

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Mon Dec 28 03:31:53 EST 2009

Sandhill Crane wrote:
> There are crappy dancers who dance salon or confiteria
> styles but they are recognized as crappy by all and sundry.
> What sets the tango nuevo crowd apart is that brutalizing
> the music, and the ronda, is considered admirable.

You're making my point once again: someone who finds
antisocial behaviour "admirable" isn't just having a
different style, and I doubt that even Gustavo Naveira
actually advocates mowing down other people.

Perhaps in your neck of the woods you can see a correlation
and people use nuevo as a sorry excuse (i.e. claim "freeedom"
to stand on their rights by sitting on those of others)
but I don't think you see the same thing at, say Practica X.

By the way, ganchos are things I've been taught well before
any of this nuevo stuff ever saw the light of day. And
given the choice between a gancho machine and a loose
boleo machine (a more recent invention), I'd choose
the former torture instrument to be next to ;).