[Tango-L] Abusing the available space (reply pt.2)

Sandhill Crane grus.canadensis at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 25 02:38:58 EST 2009

--- On Fri, 12/25/09, Brian Dunn <brianpdunn at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Yes, there are unskilled dancers in all our tango lives
> - do you think I'm defending their lack of skill?

The argument isn't about unskilled dancers; it's obvious
on all sides that they need more practice or experience
or something. The ones who are at the center of this
debate, whether they know it or not (probably not), are
the ones who are technically proficient and socially
inept. More practice, more workshops, more trips to BA
doesn't seem to change that. Maybe ranting flame wars
will help? It's worth a try; nothing else has worked.

> Huh? Advocating and admiring a “type of floorcraft”?
> You mean “freely using your share of available space
> without encroaching on anyone else’s space”?
> Again, what’s inconsiderate about that?

Well, I've encountered many ganchophiles (I'll follow
your lead and refrain from saying anything about
tango nuevo) who seem to have a different idea about
how far their share of the floor extends ... they
seem to think that so long as they don't actually collide
with anyone, they are sufficiently considerate.
Sadly, they're out to lunch. They don't collide with me
because I am working really hard to avoid them -- they
thank me by soaking up the extra space I put between
them and me. Look, Ma, no collisions!