[Tango-L] Abusing the available space (reply pt.1)

Brian Dunn brianpdunn at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 24 19:59:30 EST 2009

***WARNING***
Long, analytical tango-related post meant for the exclusive enjoyment of
those who enjoy such things!
***ALL OTHERS: We encourage you to DELETE this post IMMEDIATELY!!!

Well! Quite a menu of things to reply to...

First of all, I have never ever seen a *crowded* milonga where everyone
is on the outer edge while there is still plenty of room (presumably on
the inside). It just doesn't happen.
<<<
Well, you're posing an impossibility through a contradiction in terms, then
implying that's what I said. I didn't say anything about *crowded* milongas
(although the term may be considered imprecise until we run the "'nuevo'
video challenge" ;) ).

For that matter, I haven't been to a milonga where the floor density AT
OPENING TIME went from zero to crowded in three seconds. I don't think it
will surprise anyone to hear that, generally speaking, milonga floor density
varies through the night, through the year, from venue to venue, at the same
venue with different organizers, etc. Perhaps your hard labors at your
excellent BsAs Indian-cuisine restaurant (shameless flattery alert!) keeps
you from attending milongas except when they are crowded.

People expand to fill the available space. There is no dense single file, it
is more like a swarm that moves
counter-clockwise on the whole (or should) and sure, there has to be lower
density in the very middle, because that's the place either side of which
people are moving in opposite directions.
<<<
Well, to take the latest example which remains most vividly in memory, there
I was, Sunday evening, October 24, 2009, at Canning, and that's exactly what
I saw - a dense single file (opening occasionally as people entered and left
the floor) surrounding a relatively open (NOT empty) space, within which
dancers moved much more freely, with longer steps, bigger turns, etc...it
was noticeable enough that both my companion and I, along with another
visiting friend remarked upon it extensively, in between multiple tandas
where relating to this dense outer circle was the primary navigational
reality to manage - to join? to leave? to return? - for the hour and a half
that we were there.

But the implication that people who accommodate themselves within this
"swarm of dance" are MIS-utilizing the available space is disingenuous at
best.
<<<
I don't think you'll find anything in my messages so judgmental as
"MIS-utilizing the available space". I think you're projecting a judgment
onto mere anthropological behavior description. Since I observed that the
protagonists of my messages joined the ronda at times when they seek to
relax at a classic milonga, it would hardly support my point for me to imply
that that behavior was "mis-utilization".

But it's the implication of "go right ahead and dance in the middle of
the floor and let the old fogies stick to the outside--that's what they
want to do anyway and besides they just don't know how to make use of
the available space" that I find particularly objectionable (yes, I'm
exaggerating what you said, but I *do* read just that sentiment).
<<<
It feels to me like the "sentiment" you "read" has triggered a hot-button
for you... I confess, I DO feel just a bit "projected upon". Clarifying this
"implication" sort of feels like a softball right over the plate, but here
goes...

First, rather than advocating that people *do* ANYTHING in particular, in
these posts I am seeking to describe what I'm seeing, much like a travel
guide might. This includes descriptions of age differences at different
venues, which certainly isn't meant to insult anyone (good heavens, I'm
approaching the big six-oh myself!).  In the spirit of this list, perhaps
others may find these descriptions useful as they gather their own
experiences, perhaps not. Perhaps they'll come to different conclusions,
perhaps they'll agree. Whatever.

Second, I thought I was pretty clear about characterizing the outer-ronda
dancers as "people who wanted to relax and enjoy themselves" at the moment
in a convivial setting designed for purposes other than focusing on
improving their dance.  The idea that I'm saying they "don't know how" to do
something just because they aren't doing it at the moment is YOUR
projection. Rather than implying, I thought I *clearly stated* that, in my
experience, the SAME people may well go to BOTH classic milongas AND
practicas, depending on what they feel like doing at the moment: "relaxing"
vs "getting better".  I also clearly stated that both young people AND older
people can be found at the practicas, where they BOTH go to "get better".

When I just feel like relaxing, the dense-outer-ronda has real advantages
for me, as well as for others, I imagine. The dynamic range of movement near
me is reduced to a much smaller level, giving me fewer things to deal with
per second when I'm in a more fatigued state near the end of the night, or
with a partner who's inclined to "stay small" in their dance. Overall, the
velocity around the floor is also reduced to the consensus speed, which is a
fairly leisurely pace.  Again, with certain partners, that's a real plus.
Maybe I've had my fill of practica dancing somewhere else, and now I just
want to schmooze, dance a little, and soak up the scene.  Now, I can handle
available space just fine, thanks - but when I CHOSE to be in the dense
outer ronda, I adapted to that sociological reality, by choice, for the
benefits it offered me in my quest for tango happiness in that moment.  If
I'm "implying" or "advocating" anything, it's perhaps to be aware of what
you're after in your tango adventures, so you can more appropriately select
the best available venue for your desires.  What's so objectionable about
that?

Continued in next message...