[Tango-L] Parting thoughts from Buenos Aires

Paul Shrivastava paul.shri at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 14:49:26 EST 2009

We have been in Buenos Aires for two weeks and getting ready to catch
our flight back to Montreal.    We went to 8 milongas,  took a bunch
of classes, talked to dozens of dancers and teachers,  while also
reading this list serve discussion on what is and is not done here at
Milongas.  I am reminded of what Hugo Daniel one young teacher said at
the beginning of a class,  "There is no "Truth" in Tango".  He
explained that Tango is in the relationship and there many ways of
expressing it. There is no single truth about it.   With over 100
Milongas every month, you can find examples or data to prove almost
any dictum about tango.  I take that to mean this is a living
tradition in art and evolving even as we speak.

Another Tango revelation for me occurred in a waiting room of Escuela
de Tango at the Borges Centre, through a conversation I overheard
among two dancers.  This guy was explaining how all of Tango was about
"respect", respecting your partner, respecting fellow dancers,
respecting the music, respecting organizers and teachers, etc.  The
idea of respect seems pretty fundamental. It allows us to slow down
and think but this passion in a relational way.  Tango is something we
do with others, and if it is done with respect, people will forgive a
lot of errors and mistakes.

Paul Shrivastava, Ph. D.
http://johnmolson.concordia.ca/sustainable
John Molson School of Business