[Tango-L] SA- Nuevo Theory vs Practice: Creating a Social

Andreas Wichter andreas at tangokombinat.de
Sat Dec 19 08:57:32 EST 2009

Ron wrote:

> Milongas and Argentine tango are getting harder and harder to find
> these days.
>
> Ron

Take heart, Ron. Maybe Chicho's recent interview in Tangauta (in which
he practically disowns his followers) will have an impact. (issue 182).

A quote:
"Yes, but those milongueros had respect, delicacy and sensibility, it
was totally different. I know my role is contradictory, because I also
collaborated in generating this young movement. In its moment I got
tired of the strict milonguero codes that didn’t correspond with my
time and to rebel I tried to make my way. Today I’m a milonguero again
(laughter); I’m against the people who do not cabecear (nod), who
don’t have codes or respect. The value of tango has been diluted. That
is why I say that many dancers are lost, they barely hold on to each
other to dance and for two hours like zombies, it is very sad."

And I just heard that Gustavo Naveira is offering a workshop in
"estilo milonguero" somewhere.
Maybe the times they are a-changing.

Andreas