[Tango-L] BsAs: Young/Old, Milongas/Practicas - Part II

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 17 07:28:21 EST 2009

--- On Thu, 12/17/09, Brian Dunn <brianpdunn at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I'd be interested in comparing notes with others who have
> observed the same, or different, circumstances in Buenos Aires, or who seek to resolve the kinds of conflicts Ron and Jack refer to at USA tango
> events of various sizes.

Nice posts, Brian.  I agree with you that varying the size of the room is an effective way to control how people use the space,as well as, simply training people.  Though, at our weekly milongas I discourage any teaching, even in the non-pista at our venue because I don't want beginners to think that teaching is okay at a milonga.  Deejays controlling the pace of the music also helps with keeping people in control.

At the much larger ballroom studio venue last weekend, most folks still kept to the ronda, including a visiting tanguero whose style was consistently open nuevo.  No issues with him.  It was a local couple with a ballroomish tango style that was wandering all over the floor.  I thought of them as free entertainment for those sitting out watching the dance floor.

Trini de Pittsburgh