[Tango-L] New entry fee into Argentina

NANCY ningle_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 14 19:41:46 EST 2009

Actually, the fee is exactly what the US charges for Argentines to apply for a visa to visit the US.  This fee is not refundable if the visa is denied and it is done without any explanation for the denial.  Should the applicant choose to appeal, they must pay another $131 to submit a new application.  The usual reason for denial is the belief by some bureaucrat that the person  might not intend to come back so they must show that they have sufficient assets  in local banks and family and obligations ( such as a job) to which they must return.

Now....would you be willing to book a flight to Argentina with the possibility that you might be denied a visa just because you 'look like you might overstay your visa'?  I know US Citizens who have overstayed their original visas by five years.  This is not so much "getting you coming and going" as it is "tit for tat" IMHO.

Visas are being denied to Argentines who have had three previous trips to the US for tourism, who have property in Buenos Aires, who have jobs and family there.  These more stringent requirements were instituted during the big financial crisis in Argentina which was close to the 9/11 attacks during which many rules and regs were passed without much foresight.  I recently had to get visas for India and China.  They both took over 60 days and about $80-$120 to acquire.  Why can't we just all get along?

Nancy