[Tango-L] No Nuevo (as a style) - according to the Naveiras

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Wed Dec 9 10:47:42 EST 2009

Jack Dylan wrote:
>> Many people on this list are determined to pigeon hole people into
>> "styles", and even to ascribe certain properties one would normally
>> associate to individual couples to a "style", all as if they were
>> stating universal truths when they proclaim the association as
>> valid.
>>

> In that case, how would you distinguish [Argentine] Tango from Ballroom,
> American or Finish Tango? Or even Foxtrot, Quickstep or Rumba? They're
> danced to 4x4 music and could be danced to Tango music.

Those *are* different species. There are no (fertile) hybrids that I can see,
clearly defined sets of phenotypes that differentiate species
and clear phylogenetic evidence for classification as different species
(you can't fail to see that different Argentine tango styles all evolved out
of a common "gene pool" but that Ballroom had completely other roots,
complete with historical evidence for when Ballroom was derived from -
or rather synthesized with grafts from - Argentine tango).

There *is* even habitat separation that would form a hard species barrier
even if the forms could in theory have fertile offspring (even though I
don't think they could, as there are too many fundamental traits that
are incompatible).

I call red herring (it's clear that you yourself don't believe for an instant
that there is no difference and that you're only asking a rhetorical question),
but thanks for the effort.