[Tango-L] No Nuevo (as a style) - according to the Naveiras

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 8 12:28:06 EST 2009

> From: Alexis Cousein <al at sgi.com>
>
> Jack Dylan wrote:
> > On that premise everyone in the world dances a different 'style'.

Alex replied:

> Exactly my point.
>
> What exactly defines a "style"?
>
> Many people on this list are determined to pigeon hole people into
> "styles", and even to ascribe certain properties one would normally
> associate to individual couples to a "style", all as if they were
> stating universal truths when they proclaim the association as
> valid.

In that case, how would you distinguish [Argentine] Tango from Ballroom,
American or Finish Tango? Or even Foxtrot, Quickstep or Rumba? They're
danced to 4x4 music and could be danced to Tango music.

And how would you distinguish Viennese Waltz from Vals? VW can
easily be danced to Vals music.

Steps perhaps? But since when did we define Tango by steps?

Jack