[Tango-L] Fw: Astor Piazzolla & 50 Essential Tangos for $1.99 starting tonight

macfroggy@aol.com macfroggy at aol.com
Fri Aug 21 12:45:10 EDT 2009

Bettina,

Do we live in the same city?
I've lived for 6 years here in Buenos Aires and dance and teach tango
with my partner, Ruben Aybar. We go to dance all the time at the
traditional milongas, which NEVER play "alternative" music. It is most
definitely not "all mixed!" Do you go to Region Leonesa, Lo de Celia,
La Ideal, El Beso, Maipu, Gricel, El Arranque, Sunderland, etc? (Ok,
Maipu does have the alternative milonga, La Marshal, on Weds.)

And it is true that the old milongueros sometimes do go to the "young"
milongas in order to dance with young women, but not to dance well.

Cherie
http://tangocherie.blogspot.com

There are so many milongas now in BA and there is no such thing as

just "Nuevo" - there are many cross overs now ad I know some DJ's

that play a variety of all kinds of music - things are very differet

now than a few years ago, I have lived here 2 years and hear what is

being played, sorry. BA is not just old milongueros any longer since

awhile, many of those cannot even come anymore to the milongas as they

are too old and sadly, no longer able to dance.

Just this last week two new milongas have opened. There is a large new

generation now in Tango that dances traditional as Alternative and

Dj's are providing that. Things are changing - even in Buenos Aires.

And what I love here things are not that black and white, it is much

more organic. There is also no such thing as "the young" or "the old

milongueros" go into many Milongas here and it is all mixed.

On 8/21/09, macfroggy at aol.com <macfroggy at aol.com> wrote:

> Bettina, Piazolla is never danced in the traditional milongas of
Buenos

> Aires. Never. Nor is Gardel or that Greek folksong so popular

> elsewhere, Tango for Ephora.

> But yes, the DJs of "alternative" milongas and practicas here play

> modern music and non-tango music on occasion. But only the young
and/or

Tango-L at mit.edu