[Tango-L] Screaming Tango singers

c.roques@mchsi.com c.roques at mchsi.com
Thu Aug 20 09:37:06 EDT 2009

 Since none of us were around in the Golden Age, all responses will be speculative but two things come to mind.
 First, the difference could be that back then orchestras played often at milongas for dancers, not at a stage show for seated listeners, as is the case today.  Someone emoting too strongly over a song could be distracting to dancers.  (Contemporary with tango orchestras, the great swing bands in the U.S. also had singers that complemented the dancing, often singing in very rhythmic phrasing.)  But also there seem to have been singers for listening to and singers for dancing to.  Perhaps the line between them was always thin, but certain ones were lauded for their danceability, notably Angel Vargas, Alberto Castillo, Raul Berón and others.   Even today, there are many tangos played that would not be heard in a milonga, in spite of their popularity, so the emotional rendering could just be the other side of the same coin, and coming from a country that loves opera as much as they do, it shouldn't be a surprise that the songs are belted out.  Perhaps that was also the case then.  Nowadays most of the orchestras perform for seated audiences, so the singer is the performer.  Were the songs in the show sung while dancing was going on, or were they meant to be solos?

Second, how do we know they didn't belt them out when they sang live, even back then?  Studio recordings are carefully produced for sound levels, pitch, etc. and purposefully balanced.  Even today live bands and singers don't always reproduce the exact same sound as in the studio.

But mostly I would think that the reason is that orchestras and singers no longer perform for dancers.
Cheers,
Charles

-------------- Original message from Shahrukh Merchant <shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com>: --------------