[Tango-L] Screaming Tango singers

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Thu Aug 20 00:21:41 EDT 2009

Went to see a Tango show tonight ... Corporación Tango's "Vibraciones
del Alma." Perhaps I'll post a review on that later, but mainly was
wondering (again) about the extremely unfortunate habit amongst
contemporary Tango singers, of "belting" their lyrics, often practically
to the point of screaming them.

None of the singers of the Golden Age seemed to need to do this (and
they had arguably weaker amplification equipment); on the contrary, they
were far more convincing in expressing the melancholy and
bitter-sweetness of the lyrics of their Tangos "pensively," rather than
screaming them like an infant having a tantrum (albeit in better tune).

But the audience (Argentine, foreigners, Tango dancers, non-dancers,
doesn't seem to matter) seems to love it. Or is it that they have been
conditioned into applauding automatically the louder he sings?

Is there no contemporary version of a Roberto Ray (just to pick one of
my favourite Tango "crooners," though I could have used almost any of
the classic singers as an example)? Is it an ego thing with the
contemporary Tango singers that they feel they have to overwhelm every
other instrument? Is there even anyone else on Tango-L who feels this
way (or who LIKES the "belting" style, which would actually be better in
some ways so I can try to understand the phenomenon ... even though I
doubt I will actually start to appreciate it)?

Shahrukh