[Tango-L] FW: "Nuevo" Dancing to Di Sarli: "Don Juan" - Gustavo & Giselle

Anton Stanley anton at alidas.com.au
Thu Aug 13 23:06:24 EDT 2009

Bettina wrote: " Tango IS not just Argentine, but danced all
over the world -  like it or not - agree or not -it is reality"

Hard to argue against that sort of logic. So why do we want to persist
preserving a label of "Argentine Tango", a label I might add which only
exists outside of Argentina to my knowledge. Maybe it's more appropriate, in
attempting to accommodate the diversity of views, to have labels like
"Tango-as danced in Argentina". By that I mean not only danced in Argentina
but also Tango that has been filtered by Argentine culture. If the "filtered
by culture" concept has any credence, then no more ambiguity in labelling.
Tango as danced in Texas. Tango as danced in Massachusetts. In my own corner
of the world, there might be Tango as danced in Sydney, or Tango as danced
in Brisbane. Ask anyone in Sydney whether there's a cultural difference, I'm
sure their answer will be affirmative. So the question is do we want world
tango, with all its derivatives, or do we want tango as mostly danced in
Argentina? Or maybe culture has no influence on Tango and I just drink too
much.

Anton