[Tango-L] Tango is Argentine

bettina maria fahlbusch bettinamaria7 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 17:25:39 EDT 2009

Sergio, I do not question that today Argentine Tango has its roots in
Argentina. But I nevertheless want to point out that in those days,
when the Tango originated, those "Argentines" were to the most part
Immigrants, speaking all the nationalities that nowadays Argentineans
seem proud to refer back to, Like Italy, Spain, Germany, Russia,
Poland and so forth. They cam in those days Tango was born as well. In
those days, this country was vastly empty and those foreigners were
lured by the upper classes to come to Argentina. It was those people,
mixed with elements they found in Argentina (the rhythm of the Blacks,
the knife fight elements in the steps of the gauchos etc),

What I do think is important - VERY important - is to acknowledge the
50% female element. What makes tango so sensual? What makes it
passionate? Certainly not the gauchos and compadritos that initially
danced together. To say that those women just "danced with their
clients" is an understatement I would say that certainly makes up 50%
of the elements that developed in Tango.

Sorry about saying "string" I simply mixed up the word as a foreigner,
certainly it is not a string element, but I do insist those sounds
originated in Germany, not in Argentina . . .
:-)

What is interesting today, as a foreigner, living in Argentina, is the
ongoing conversation ain Argentineans referrig back to the fact of a
massive European heritage that makes them different from the rest of
Southamerica. Like the fact Buenos Aires likes to refer to itself to
the "paris from the South" which I think in reality is a far cry away
from the real Paris. So if there is pride fr sure to be had about such
beautiful vast land as Argentina, then really own that what is truly
Argentinean and not European. Finally, the Tango only became accepted
in Argentina, once it scored success and reputation  in the upper
class Salons in Berlin, Paris and London . ..  shown by the rich boys
who again learned it in the Bordellos WITH the European women . . . so
it is not all and only that Argentine, is it?

Sergio: