[Tango-L] What is tango ? I

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 5 00:51:02 EDT 2009

I would define tango as a ballroom dance, originated in Argentina. The music of this dance.

 The same as I would define Fox-trot as a ballroom dance originated in North America. The music of this dance.

1. A category is "any general or comprehensive division; a class.

2. a classificatory division in any field of knowledge, as a phylum or any of its subdivisions in biology."

So we know that Tango is one of the many ballroom dances, we know its origin and we know that it has a particular type of music.

>From here we can add more characteristics that separate this particular ballroom dance from the others.

We can say that its music is written in 2/4 or 4/4 but there are other ballroom dances that are written in 4/4, Fox-trot for instance.

We can say that it is a dance for couples. This means that two people dance with an embrace.

We can further define that the embrace can be open or closed or elastic . We can define each type of embrace.

We can say that it is asymmetrical, the man executes certain foot work while he leads the woman to execute different steps than his own. Most ballroom dances are symmetrical.

We can say that the dance is generally improvised but can also be choreograph.

We can say that it is characterized by the use of small step figures that are linked together to create a chain that is a particular tango.  It has in this way an infinite number of possibilities with respect to choreography. There is freedom to step whenever wished, to pose or to pause. Eventually every dancer develops his own style, a reflection  of his own personality.

We can say that it has two partners, one masculine that leads, one feminine that follows. (A woman may lead and a man follow adopting a masculine and feminine role respectively).

There is a special feeling for the music and for the partner. There is introspection, connection, surrendering of the woman to the man and from the man to the embrace, and from both to the music. A music that at times has a hypnotic effect on the dancers. We could define each one of those terms.

We can also say that there are different styles of tango .

Style is "a particular kind, sort, or type, as with reference to form, appearance, or character: the baroque style; The style of the house was too austere for their liking."

will continue,

Sergio