[Tango-L] The demise of Tango

Jay Rabe jayrabe at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 27 13:38:16 EDT 2009

Generalizing from a limited geographical exposure can be highly inaccurate. Here in Portland we have a dozen milongas every week, and all but one of them play exclusively Golden Age tango. I've seen no suggestion that we won't continue that tradition. We do also have a growing contingent of "nuevo" dancers, mostly young, but most of them are well-behaved and there are only a couple that have such poor floorcraft that you have to constantly pay attention to them when they're in your vicinity.

P.S. "Baggy-cargo-pant-and-sneaker-jamboree" Very cute, Charles. I'll try to use that line at one of the afternoon alternative milongas at the next Portland festival in October. Speaking of which, the 4 or 5 evening milongas, with 300 - 500 in attendance, are strictly Golden Age tango. Don't see any demise here. Detente, perhaps.