[Tango-L] The demise of Tango

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 27 12:48:03 EDT 2009

Ron wrote:

>> Outside Argentina, nuevo is rapidly becoming the de facto standard of
>> dancing at events advertised as 'milongas'. Non-tango music (including
>> 'tango fusion') is becoming a standard part of the music played at
>> these events, even becoming the predominnt form of music at some
>> events labeled (or even not labeled) as 'alternative milongas'.

>> true that there are still milongas outside Argentina where
>> social tango dancing predominates and classic tango music is played.

Actually, Ron, it is far worse than you might imagine.  There are a large number of nuevo tango dancers
who despise the neo-tango and electronic tango music.  They by far prefer dancing to real, traditional,
tango music.  Preferring the music played at authentic milongas, those dancers invade the sanctity of
the dance floor and, space permitting, perform all sorts of wild gyrations right there in plain sight of
their putative elders.

What's more, these dancers are generally younger and fitter than most of us old farts, and both the
men AND THE WOMEN think that they are dancing "socially" with each other, with everything strictly
improvised lead-follow, when in fact they are clearly trying out for the circus.  OMG!!!!!

I think that the only solution is bouncers!  I have heard that they kick
people out of the Authentic milongas in BsAs if they are misbehaving.
Authenticity is the US will certainly be enhanced by having bouncers.

Regards,

D. David Thorn