[Tango-L] Head Tilt

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Sat Apr 25 13:35:27 EDT 2009

I think the correct question is "Why is there is a need to tilt the head?" Tilting the head is probably a compensation. I remember when I'd reach for the woman's cheek, pulling my head ahead of my chest. My teacher told me not to reach. It's the woman's decision if she wants to make cheek contact. In other situations, tilting of the head is a compensation for difference in height of the dancers. My BA guide reinforced the importance of seeking women my height.

The focus has to always be on the partner. Yes, I saw Argentines looking at me dance, especially since I was a stranger. I couldn't let that impact my dancing.

I suggest Alexander Technique which will improve your posture and head position.

Michael
I dance Argentine Tango - - with the Argentines