Re: [Tango-L] Report from Buenos Aires #5‏

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Sun Apr 19 22:27:16 EDT 2009

Sergio:
To clarify, I´ve seen Argentines collide with Argentines. Then the two
men get into an argument. At Gricel, the partner of one just looked
around the room with a look that said ¨Will somebody please rescue
me?¨ At Arranque, a man accused the other of leading the woman to do a
boleo which scuffed his pants. If I was the ONLY person having
collisions, I´ve have to sit down and evaluate. But when I see the
Argentines having problems, well, that puts a whole new light on the
matter.

Tonight, I went to lo de Celia. The floor actually has a line that
goes around the perimeter. I see couples moving from one side of the
line to the other. That´s not good navigation.

Michael

2009/4/18 Sergio Vandekier <sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com>:

> It is interesting that I spent several months dancing in Buenos Aires, many times at Gricel on Fridays and never noticed the navigation problems that michael describes. We have been dancing at Gricel for years without any problems, further more I do not think that people at Gricel dance differently with respect to conversation before dancing or navigation than in other milongas.
>

> I do not wish to blame Michael for his problems at Gricel at all, it is possible that that particular night had several poor dancers on the floor at the same time.
>
> Nito and  Elba teach there twice a week, it is possible that some of their new students were dancing at that particular time. Nito teaches long figures that a new dancer would not know how to fit in a crowded floor.
>
> I have noticed   instances of  people colliding, and then leaving the floor asserting that "people do not know how to navigate" blaming the others for their own shortcomings.
>
> As to talking in between tangos before to start dancing is part of being a good milonguero, this has always been a very important part of the tango culture.
>
> Before dancing you have to get the "feeling" of the music, you have to develop the right mood and attitude towards that particular melody that just started to play.
>
>  You never start dancing right away as the music begins.  You converse with your partner while you wait to get the right feeling to make a good interpretation of the music.  You normally wait for the couple in front of you to start dancing and only then you start moving.
>
> The same way you do not come straight from the street and jump into the dancing floor to start dancing, no way!
>
> You look around, greet your friends, sit at a table and sip some wine while listening to the music, you patiently wait till you spirit is ready to start dancing, till your feet literally want to start dancing, Only then you ask a lady to dance and you start your journey on the dancing floor.
>
> Best wishes, Sergio

I'd rather be dancing Argentine Tango