[Tango-L] Tango & Swing

larrynla@juno.com larrynla at juno.com
Sat Apr 18 20:07:47 EDT 2009

Swing was my first love.  I learned the rock-and-roll version when I
was fifteen from a waitress at my uncle's honky-tonk in Texas, between
school's letting out and the beginning of happy hour.  I kept coming
back to it over the years, learning west-coast swing when I moved to
California.  I never warmed to the Lindy, Jitterbug, and Fast Jive
versions, though I did dabble in the Balboa, which as very tightly
contained and slightly slower version of the Lindy.

I hate to see people try to combine the two, though I'd never try to
keep others from trying it by sneering at them or snubbing them.  The
two dances are just too far apart for my taste.

But I just now stumbled upon a couple who succeeded at a (sort of)
fusion of them.  Though I'm not sure fusion is correct.  The two
dancers basically switch between the two forms, maybe borrowing a move
or two from one dance in the other.  But whatever they are doing, it
sure is entertaining!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbIlTrXjTrs

Larry de Los Angeles
http://ShapechangerTales.com