[Tango-L] genre bendre

Myk Dowling politas at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 22:42:28 EDT 2009

Joe Grohens wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvMPXyR0qg0
>
> How would you classify the following things?
>
> - The music? (e.g., "swing")

Yes, I'd say that was fast swing music.

> - The dancing they are doing to this music? (e.g., "swing")

No, they are definitely not dancing swing. I'd call that a fusion of
tango and jazz dancing, leaning heavily on the tango side. Most of what
they are doing is standard tango stuff, with a few jazzy bits thrown in.

> - The dancers?

They are tango performers, as simple as that. Performance dancing rarely
fits precisely into a particular dance genre. Performers fuse elements
from different styles to create a distinctive style of their own in
order to be visually interesting.

--
Myk,
in Canberra