[Tango-L] Report from Buenos Aires #2

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 13 10:23:21 EDT 2009

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your observations, and I look forward to hearing more from you.

--- On Sun, 4/12/09, Michael <tangomaniac at cavtel.net> wrote:

> New term
> Suggestion of new term for ´`authentic Argentine Tango´´
> (I´m using a keyboard that isn´t conventionally used in the states and
> it´s difficult to find special keys.) Instead of
> ´¨authentic¨`, I suggest `¨original.¨ The milonguero style (named by Susana Miller) is what I call the original style. It´s NOT the style I dance in the States but I consider what I dance to be authentic.

"original" wouldn't work either since no one really knows what the original looked like and predates what developed in the 1940's.  It could be closer to Canyengue than the tango we know today.  Probably the only term that people would agree with would be something related to "downtown" or "center city".  It's accepted that those in the center of the city dance close due partly to space issues.  Living very close to downtown of a 200+ year old port city, I can easily see that.

Trini de Pittsburgh