[Tango-L] The Truth About Tango Nuevo

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 10 16:31:19 EDT 2009

NANCY wrote:
>  Here is my question:  Who decides if you are "messing
> with the other dancers or the line of dance"?

Indeed.  That is THE question.  If I am dancing simple close embrace but insist on "pushing" the couple ahead of me, I am messing with the line of dance.  If I am dancing simple close embrace but am dawdling so as to create a large gap ahead of me and a pile up behind be, I am messing with the line of dance.  If I am keeping my distance, neither pushing nor dawdling, and I am dancing entirely on my floor tile at any given instant, why should you care whether I am doing a series of rock steps waiting for traffic to clear, or a colgada waiting for traffic to clear?  If traffic is moving at a good clip, why should you care whether I am walking in a conventional close embrace or, using Ron's example, Butt to Front?

In my opinion, rude behavior on the dance floor is rude behavior, and considerate behavior is considerate behavior.

I realize that this is not a new rant.  The question is:  Why the
prejudiced attitudes that continue to pop up and warrant the rant, or perhaps we just have have trolls continuing to plague the list?

In the world of skiing (my other passion), many snow boarders are obnoxious teenagers.  They would be obnoxious on skis also.  There are also many snow boarders who are considerate and are a pleasure to share the slopes with.  In the past, a large number of ski areas took the path of prejudice and simply banned all snow boarders.  Now, nearly all are more enlightened and ban bad behavior, whether on skis or snow boards, and permit safe and courteous users of the slopes, whether on skis or snow boards.

Can't the tango world be as enlightened and kind as the ski world?

David