[Tango-L] Bajofondo review

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Tue Apr 7 16:41:58 EDT 2009

"Trini y Sean (PATangoS)" <patangos at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Bajofondo is on a North American tour.  Traditionalists might not like to dance to their music ...

and listed cities where they will be performing (at what seem to be
largely jazz-club and indie-music type places as opposed to hi-profile
concert venues).

> Montreal ... Boston ... New York ... Washington ... Austin ... Tuscon ... Indio ... San Francisco

What puzzles me is that most of the cities in the list above have
sizeable Tango populations (I'm not familiar with the size of the
commuty in Tuscon, and quite frankly had never even heard of Indio, CA,
but certainly all the others), both in terms of dancers and organizers;
however, it seems that from a lack of communication or organization or
initiative, there appears to be not a SINGLE Tango organization hosting
them, even piggy-backing on one of the pre-arranged concerts?!

I'm one of Trini's "traditionalists," perhaps, so they wouldn't be my
favourite music to dance to either (for more than a couple of pieces
anyway), but they still represent Tango, and perform at a high level, so
if someone else has done 95% of the work to get them to your city, it
seems a real shame not to have them make a guest appearance, or even
structure an event around their presence. With the exception of Tuscon,
where they seem to be rushing in and out, there appears to be a 2-day or
greater break between cities, so there's the possibility for room in
their schedule, and it would certainly help them both financially and
artistically.

It's too late for Montreal (and possibly for Boston), but one hopes that
one of the Tango organizers in the other cities can take advantage of
their presence. It would really be a win-win.

Thanks for the review, Trini.

Shahrukh

P.S. Another posting on a different orchestra coming up ...