[Tango-L] Lead an invitation that can be ignored or faught.

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 29 13:53:49 EDT 2008

"The point is: if the woman decides not to blink despite Gavito's lead, what doeshe *then* do? Run away screaming? And is she ever wrong if she decides not toblink, even if she's *not* dancing with Gavito?"

What do you do with a woman that does not follow the lead?

It is a personal matter:

1-  You may discuss with the lady her reasons for not following the lead. If she does it because she does not know how to dance, then you may want to go to a practica with her, and try to teach her, or advise her to take lessons on "lead and follow".

2- If she does it on purpose, as a matter of preference or experimentation is up to you if you wish to dance that way or not, in this last case stop dancing with her.

I encountered this problem only two times in my entire life as a tango dancer  both times foreign women).  I simply finish the tango,  took them to their seat and never asked them to dance again.  My impression is that 99% of good dancers would do the same unless...they are expecting to obtain some secondary benefits (other than dancing). :))

When you arrive to a milonga you watch for a while to see how they dance; then you invite to the floor women that at the very least have a minimum of skill, preferable of the same level as you have.

This is even in tango lyrics written many years ago such as "Segui mi consejo"  (Follow my advise).

Si vas a los bailes, parate en la puerta,
campaneá las minas que sepan bailar,
no saqués paquete que dan pisotones...
¡Que sufran y aprendan a fuerza'e planchar!

If you go to the dances, stand by the door,
scoop the chicks that know how to dance,
do not dance with packages that step on you,
let them suffer, so that they will be forced to learn in order not to seat all night long.

Best regards, Sergio