[Tango-L] To Dance -- or Not to Dance: That is the Question

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Sun Sep 28 23:37:23 EDT 2008

I have asked this question before - who do you dance with, folks?  Do
you dance with people or with their tango abilities?

Personally, I dance with people.  If I like the person, and his
technique has suddenly deteriorated for some mysterious reason, such
as a spell of some tango sorcerer in Siberia, I would certainly
attempt to remove the spell.

Tango technique is a fluid thing - it can be restored and
reconstructed.  In tango, as in all dance, some days are better than
others.  Some days, there is axis and other days it is on vacation
some place.  Some days, the body does what it is supposed to and
other days it decides to do its own thing and no amount of arguing
can change anything.  Somehow we push through those moments and dance
works out.

But a person can be destroyed by rejection.  Tango trauma is a serious thing.

One of the biggest problems with assumptions in all aspects of life
is attribution.  We often attribute incorrectly.  Michael said that
the woman's tension was from dancing with men that don't have good
technique.  But maybe she had a stressful day instead.  There is no
linear cause and effect in human experience or behavior.

Tango accepts people as they are, with all their feelings.  In Buenos
Aires, that is still the beauty of the experience - you are expected
to dance your feelings, whatever they may be that day.  There is
freedom in that and integrity.

All the best,

Nina