[Tango-L] Tergiversar = to distort, twist

David dchester at charter.net
Fri Sep 26 17:45:53 EDT 2008

> But, why would you invite her to do something she wouldn't want to do?

Possible reasons why:
1) I don't always know what she wants to do.
2) My interpretation of the music may be different from her interpretation.
3) I had to respond/react to something happening on the dance floor.
4) A mistake (ie. my skills need to improve).

> With people you dance with regularly, you know what steps or styles they, so you lead/invite accordingly, right?

Yes, although I probably think more about styles in deciding who to ask to dance at the beginning of the tanda, as the song will definitely have an influence on what/how I lead (my style).  During the dance I try to make some determination about what steps seems to go as expected, and which do not, so I know what to do (and stay away from) for the rest of the tanda.

> I interpret "invite" as suggesting something so wonderful that, of course, she'd say "yes".

That's a very nice way of interpreting it.  Maybe some day I'll get to that level, where people think what I'm leading is wonderful.  I've sometimes said that I try to lead "as if" it were an invitation, even if it really isn't.

In any case, I agree with the sentiment of your post, in that I want my follower to enjoy the dance.  Of course, I want to enjoy it too.  In my eyes, for the dance to be a success, we both have to had enjoyed it.

A lot of this stuff is self correcting, as if my lead is bad, people won't continue to dance with me, and if the follower can't follow (in the leader's eyes), she won't get asked to dance much.

Hopefully, I'll keep learning and improving.

Take care,

David