[Tango-L] Message from Verena

robin tara robinctara at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 09:10:31 EDT 2008

I received this message from Verena. She has been trying to post it to
the list with no luck.

"I didn't join this list for many years. Omar Vega's death made me return to it.
To end all rumors before they begin: There were no drugs involved! He
always hated drugs. At the moment nobody can tell what he died of.
Even the doctors don't know. The only thing they know for sure is that
he couldn breath any more.

There are many stories about him. I can asure you, he could read. Not
as well as people in the western world can, that' right. As a kid he
never had the time to go to school. He had to survive. But he was no
orphan. He entered school when he was an adult. And the friend who
made him go to school, took him out to a milonga. Thats how he got in
touch with tango. And tango became his life. Pepito Avellaneda was his
most important teacher.
For me, and I assume for many others too, Omar was el rey del traspie.
Whoever danced with him, will probably never forget it.
He once told me, that when he stars to dance he' enters a bubble. All
music around him and nothing there except music and his partner.
He's buried at Chacarita. And there will be a Milonga for him this
wednesday in Buenos Aires."