[Tango-L] Lead an invitation that can be ignored or faught

larrynla@juno.com larrynla at juno.com
Tue Sep 23 13:15:52 EDT 2008

There are times when it is the duty of the woman to ignore or resist a lead -
when to do what the leader requests will get someone hurt. I pride myself on
keeping alert to what's going on around me and protecting the women I dance
with. But I'm not perfect. Sometimes I miss danger, as when some couple suddenly
changes direction out of my sight. Or rushes into our path.

Or a woman may have a problem that I don't or can't perceive. A favorite partner
of mine recently resisted doing a boleo that I lead, telling me afterward that
she had hurt her back and the twisting action hurt it more.

Sometimes a woman will ignore a lead because she has not learned the movement I
want her to do. Or because my lead is unclear. If I "speak" unclearly to her it
is her duty not to quess what I "asked" her to do.

Before guys get all huffy and swear never to dance with someone again they
should ask themselves if her lack of response is THEIR fault.

Larry de Los Angeles
http://shapechangers.wordpress.com