[Tango-L] Lead an invitation that can be ignored or faught

David dchester at charter.net
Tue Sep 23 10:10:05 EDT 2008

In a lot of ways, this debate reminds me of the salon (or viejo) vs nuevo argument.  It seems to me that people sometime forget that Tango is an art, and not something like physics, where you can possibly solve a differential equation or conduct a lab experiment to prove your point and declare it a fact.  In art, people have different opinions or philosophies, and this is just another example.

The verbs "to lead" and "to invite" have different meanings, thus to say a lead is an invitation would seem to be a poor use of words, (even though it may be the PC thing to say).  To lead is to guide or to direct, where as to invite is basically to make a request (which can be accepted or rejected).  These are not the same things at all.

As I see it, there are different philosophies on how people believe the lead and follow should work.  For me, I lead steps.  I do not invite them, but I sometimes invite embellishments.  However, I accept that everyone doesn't agree with my philosophy.

I sometimes wish that more people on Tango-L would realize and accept that there are many different opinions on many aspects of Tango, and just because you are insistent that something is a fact, doesn't at all mean that anyone else does.  A little tolerance of differing opinions could go a long way.

Not everyone likes the way I lead, but enough people do, so that I can have a pleasant evening at a milonga without having to dance with broomsticks.  I will freely admit that I have a long way to go in my learning of this art, however.

Regards,

David

> But given a lead is an invitation, she can certainly *resist* a lead, i.e. change
> the timing. She can even take over the lead momentarily (which is no problem
> with me, but bruises the ego of some other leaders).

. . .