[Tango-L] Lead an invitation that can be ignored or faught

larrynla@juno.com larrynla at juno.com
Fri Sep 19 16:10:16 EDT 2008

My reaction to Laurie's statement was different than that of some on this list.
I simply took it as a statement of fact, acknowledging that women are active
participants in a dance, not puppets.

Most of the time they seek to relax into the direction the leader supplies, but
IN AN EMERGENCY it is not only their right but their duty to ignore or resist a
lead. For instance, if to follow it would cause me to crash into someone.

Or to hurt her. (Some time back a favorite partner resisted doing boleos and
ochos, explaining that she had hurt her back recently.)

Most often a woman ignores a lead because she does not understand it. Possibly
she's never learned the proper response. But it could also be because I was not
clear in my lead.

Before guys get all huffy and swear never to dance with someone again they
should ask themselves if her lack of response or resistance is THEIR fault.

Larry de Los Angeles