[Tango-L] Videos and criticism, the right arm lead

Joe Grohens joe.grohens at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 18:28:59 EDT 2008

Sergio writes

> he calls his video, "Having fun with milonga candombera", as far as
> I know nobody danced that way till recently when some pertinent
> music appeared or reappeared and people started to "re-invent" the
> milonga candombera as a new stile of dancing milonga. These facts,
> "having fun with" and the inexistence of this style till recently
> gives the dancer a lot of latitude with respect to artistic
> interpretation of the music.
Since this is a new style of dancing milonga, I wonder if it is recent
enough that we can trace its origins.

I wonder who coined the term "milonga candombera". And who, if anyone,
teaches or hands down this style to others?

I wonder where Jean-Pierre learned to dance this way, or if it is his
own invention that he calls by a name that "seems to fit."

How do names for tango "styles" arise and become attached to dance
forms? How do these "styles" begin to harden into a codified
recognizable form, each with their own techniques and rules about what
is acceptable?

Several years ago some people on the tango-l were talking about
"candombe-milongas", and I didn't have any idea what they were talking
about. Then I found music such as "Azabache", "Siga El Baile", "La
Rumbita Candombe", "Carnivalito" ... etc. I assume that this type of
music is what people mean by "candombe-milongas". But this music is,
to my way of thinking, older. From the 1940s, I think.

Is "milonga candombera" the way of dancing associated with candombe-
milongas?

If so, when did the recent revival of dancing to this music start?

-Joe