[Tango-L] Fun with a Milonga-Candombera

Tango-L and Tango-A Administrator tango-L-owner at MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 12 10:25:05 EDT 2008

The original poster of this obviously didn't read the list rules
(particularly of the strictness on the ones about flaming) and has to
have set a new record for the number of violations in a 48-hour period.
He obviously wasn't on review before, and he obviously is now.

That aside, it may be useful to review some of the postings on this thread:

The original posting was a 1-liner:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKfu2wOG154

followed by 6 lines identifying the poster and his Tango business.

One-liners including links to youtube videos (or links anywhere for that
matter) that don't add some meaningful discussion are not permitted on
Tango-L. In addition, the purpose of this posting appeared to be
entirely self-promotion, which is not the purpose of Tango-L either.

There *are* two ways to achieve this on Tango-L: one is the 1-time
introduction permitted to anyone who wishes to announce their Tango
presence and services to the list (in which links to videos would be
relevant and may be included), and the other is as part of the 3-line
signature permitted on otherwise relevant-to-Tango-L postings.

The fact that parts of this thread were nonetheless constructive is a
credit to those list members (yes, especially Sergio) who were able to
distance themselves from the pettiness, but doesn't justify the lack of
civility in other postings.

Notwithstanding all that, reviews of professionals' offerings ARE
explicitly permitted on Tango-L but with strict restrictions to ensure
that they are made as a service to the community and not just to attack
a competitor, or be mean-spirited, etc.

So it is true that having posted a video implicitly saying, "Look at me,
am I not great?" one must be prepared to accept that some would respond
disagreeing (and those are the ones more likely to respond). However,
the tone of the following response (by a poster who is normally a good
contributor, including later postings on the same thread) was
unfortunate as it was designed to ridicule rather than be a constructive
review:

> Deer lowered, he waves
> his left arm around more than a drunk partygoer doing the chicken
> dance at a wedding reception.

The following response (also from a poster with other good
contributions), while slightly more subtly ridiculing, essentially had
the same objective, and would not qualify as a review or constructive
response either, even though it was undoubtedly sincerely felt:

> Your criticism is spot on Huck. But how to defend your point? How
> would someone who has never experienced sublimation understand what
> is missing when they "groove"? IMHO, you have a better chance of
> explaining color to a blind man.

But neither of those responses justified the subsequent flaming and
bickering by the original poster, which is what got him on review (not
the original 1-liner video which would just have got him a reminder).
But as some marketing types say, "There's no such thing as bad
publicity," so if indeed self-promotion was the idea, I'd say it worked
(I certainly wouldn't have bother to watch the video had it not been for
the subsequent discussion)! :-)

Shahrukh Merchant
Tango-L and Tango-A administrator
tango-L-owner at mit.edu

P.S. As far as the video itself ... maybe I'll post my opinion too, or
more likely just consider the horse well beaten.