[Tango-L] (no subject)

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 11 13:49:13 EDT 2008

Ernest wrote:
>> Tango rules do not always apply to milonga, milonga-candombera and canyengue.
>> In most cases these dances existed before the "sublime" rules associated with
>> tango liso existed.  These dances have different characteristics, so much so that
>> they have different names.

>> I think this is just a case of not understanding what the characteristics of
>> milonga-candombera are and judging it through tango-liso eyes.

Ernest:  Thank you for your posting.  I have very much enjoyed watching you dance,
both on youtube and in person.  You do actually dance!  It looks like fun!

There are some excellent and well researched books out there dealing with the
history of tango, and explicitly with its African origins.  That a number on
this list lack the required education to understand the consequences of this
history, and of the various styles that long predated modern "Social Tango", is
easily remedied.  Read.  Learn.  You might for example start with
 Tango: The Art History of Love  by Robert Farris Thompson.

Cheers

D. David Thorn