[Tango-L] Volcada (instructional video)

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 23:56:42 EDT 2008

Trini,

You asked a good question that, IMO, Jean-Pierre didn't really answer.
I think he is doing what I often do and is treating the Carpa and the Volcada
as 2 separate figures, with the Carpa being a prelude to the Volcada.. However,
as has been correctly pointed out by Larry and others, the Carpa itself is a
Volcada. Your question, if I read it correctly, is how does the lady knows to
lean, i.e. go into a Carpa, rather than take a forward step. Jean-Pierre's
answer seems to start after the Carpa has been executed.

It's a good question because many inexperienced ladies will indeed take
a forward step when the man steps back, while intending to lead her into
a Carpa.

What I've been taught is something many call 'suspension'. It involves a
staightening of the knees resulting in a slight rise of the chest and is used,
for example, when executing the Calesita, even without the lean. When in
'suspension' the lady will not make a step, whatever the man does, until
the knees are relaxed and the suspension is released.

I'd be interested to hear other views on this.

I also agree with Trini's view that Jean-Pierre's partner allows her back to
'collapse' in the Carpa, rather than staying straight. While her upper body
is vertical, her lower body is angled at approx. 60deg. That might be OK
for a trained dancer with good flexibility but not a good example for an
untrained dancer trying to learn a Volcada.

Jack