[Tango-L] 30 seconds of chit-chat

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Sun Sep 7 13:03:09 EDT 2008

True enough that this seems more natural in Buenos Aires than elsewhere.
Probably because of the relative anonymity and size and flux of the
community, one is often dancing with people unknown to you, and it's a
way of greeting that person and having a small conversation. But that is
not the entire explanation, since it is common to do so with everyone
you are dancing with, even if you know him or her well. The music is
part of the explanation as well--not just to hear it, since true that
doesn't need more than a few seconds, but rather to start the internal
flow with the music even before you start dancing outwardly.

Dubravko Kakarigi <dubravko_2005 at yahoo.com> says:
> ... However, all I need/want to know about my
> dance partner I learn through dancing with her, not through talking
> with her.

Oh, not at all for me (regardless of whether or not I would like to
"have a coffee with her" later, or even another tanda for that matter).
The natural connection of a (verbal) conversation absolutely affects the
subsequent "tango" conversation.

All I can say that the dances in the rest of the tanda after the first
chit-chat period are much more comfortable for me, since I am dancing
with someone who in some sense has become more "real" (after even a
semi-superficial conversation).

> Actually having any spoken conversation is very distracting
> for me.

As far as talking *during* the dance, I think most people would agree
with you. It is even distracting for me when other couples near me are
talking while dancing!

> Does anyone know if it is considered rude to dance (in place) during
> those 30 chat seconds? I never had anyone tell me so, but perhaps
> people might just be too polite to complain.

I don't think it's considered rude in and of itself, though it could be
perceived as trying to rush people around you to get started, which
could be annoying depending on how crowded the floor is and how subtly
you manage to do so. It is unusual enough that certainly in Buenos Aires
you would be identified as a newcomer to (Buenos Aires) milongas.

There have been a few instances when perhaps because of my mood or that
of my partner, no conversation develops in those 30 seconds, but one
still stands silently in place. Sometimes it feels natural, sometimes a
little weird (since almost all the other couples ARE chatting during
this time), but it's still not a reason to get started prematurely.

Oh, one other "data point": this is strictly for *between* songs in a
tanda, not at the end of the tanda, nor before the first song. For the
first song, usually one would have entered the floor after the first 30
seconds anyway, but even if you got on the floor after 5 seconds, you
would take the dance hold almost right away, maybe be still a few
seconds longer than usual depending on your preference of starting on
certain musical phrasing, but not really do any chit-chat until the end
of the first song. If you get on the floor at the beginning of the
second or subsequent song of the tanda during the chit-chat period, you
would wait out the rest of the chit-chat period (I generally rarely
chit-chat then if it's someone I don't know since no "dance connection"
has been established).

All of this sounds like over-analysis and it probably is. This is not
what I'm consciously thinking of at the time, of course, but an
after-the-fact attempt at recreating what happens for the curious who
haven't experienced it themselves. For those going to Buenos Aires for
the first time, it's not something to worry about at all. Just be aware
of it, and you'll probably find that you'll flow into the rhythm rather
naturally.

It is not common outside Buenos Aires, but I like it enough and it is
now enough of a habit that I do the chit-chat automatically if I am
dancing elsewhere as well. The only problem that that has created if I
don't know the woman I'm dancing with, she sometimes thinks that I don't
want to dance with her anymore and I'm stalling by chatting before
walking her off the dance floor mid-tanda! I explain and we laugh if off
together (and yes, all that creates a type of extra little bond that
helps the subsequent Tango connection!), but then I do try to shorten
the chit-chat a little or at least try not to look like I'm stalling!

Shahrukh