[Tango-L] Feedback Requested on Free Tango Classes & Milongas

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 4 15:42:17 EDT 2008

How about a fee that covers the entire semester instead of just an event?  So if they pay for a milonga, they are part of the club for the rest of the semester?  Maybe 2 different levels of club participation based on what they can afford.  If they see themselves as part of a club, rather than just a one-time customer, it may increase their involvement.

My experience has been mixed at universities.  Undergrads don't have as much discretionary income as grad students or non-students.  It's also a question of what you want students to pay for (e.g., classes versus workshops).  If you charge, there's nothing to stop you from offering scholarships to those with talent but no income (the instructor can ask the destitute student to help gender-balance).  With students, the initial attraction to attending milongas or classes is to meet other people.  So you'll always lose people no matter what you do.

I've offered some classes for free and I've also charged.  Both had low rentention rates but those who still made it to the last class became excellent dancers, whether they paid or not.  The free class attracted more students.  Those in the paying class had more university staff.  A university situated in a college town will have a more captive audience than one in a big city, so may be able to charge something.

Perhaps a compromise will be to offer free beginning classes but charge for a higher level class.  However, if you charge for a higher level class, there should also be an obvious reason for the charge to exist, such as professional-level instruction or the teachers going to workshops and teaching the material when they get back, funding a music library, etc.

Just a few thoughts.

Trini de Pittsburgh