[Tango-L] Feedback Requested on Free Tango Classes & Milongas

Felix Delgado felixydelgado at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 4 14:29:31 EDT 2008

We have a student tango group at our university. This is the third year we are giving classes. The first year we gave classes and held milongas the events were free, because we wanted to attract people. Last year we charged a small fee for classes ($20 for a 6 week class) and the milongas were free for people taking classes, $5 for others. We hold the events in university space and we don't pay a rental fee. When we charged, the money went into a bank account to bring in visiting instructors, although we haven't done that yet.

The first year, when events were free, we had more people in classes and mliongas, but there was more coming and going. There are only a few people who were regular. The second year, when we charged, we had fewer people in classes, but the milonga attendance was about the same. However, we tended to get the same people in the milongas each time.

As we are starting our third year, I'm not sure what is best to suggest to our small club (20-25 people). We want to recruit more dancers, but we want them to come back. The ones who pay tend to come back. They also seem to be better dances, although it could be our teaching has improved and the level of dancing in our club has improved.

I'm wondering what experiences readers of Tango-L have had in a similar situation.

Felix