[Tango-L] How to dance the "3 3 2" form

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Thu Oct 16 10:38:37 EDT 2008

Good question.

This is different from the Habanero rhythm which is also embedded in
tango:
Bump-b-Dump-Bump, Bump-b-Dump-Bump, Bump-b-Dump-Bump,

Or what I call the reverse habanero:
Bump-Bump-b-Bump, Bump-Bump-b-Bump, Bump-Bump-b-Bump,

As you note, the "strong" or "walking" beat is syncopated and you
would typically step on the ONE, FOUR, SEVEN, but to do this all the
time would start to become repetitious and lose the syncopated feel.

An interesting song that focuses on the steady One, Four, Seven is
Melingo's "Leonel El Feo".

One variation would be to step on the ONE and FOUR, holding across the
SEVEN.

However, instead of dancing steady, you need to mix in the rhythmic
steps on the 2,3,5,6 or 8 which adds a nice counterpoint. It has to
come from feel, or demonstration as it is difficult to explain and
more difficult to do. For that listen to 40s Troilo, like Cachirulo.

In addition, this 1,4,7 with 2,3,5,6,8 counterpoint will involve a lot
of internal body motion: hips, tummy, spiral. In tango we might
usually be stepping on the regular walking or rhythmic steps, while
using syncopation internally.

Now, for extra points (or brain damage), try dancing tango to the
Ballroom rhythm of Half-and Half.