[Tango-L] Tango Pedantics

Crrtango@aol.com Crrtango at aol.com
Wed Nov 26 14:03:24 EST 2008

David wrote:

"Is this how we should all look?  Hunched over with bent legs?  I'm not
intending any disrespect,
because, as you all probably know, I am one of those "nearly anything goes
dancers."  But I do
imagine that a number of regular posters to this list would find much to
criticize about this
style if it were to appear in their milonga today."

Touche!   Admittedly, Petroleo is not the best example of elegance, but
Virulazo is, or Chino, who is still dancing.   My mistake, I was grouping them more
by generation.   Yes, Petroleo has more of his own personal, quirky style.
In these photos (I have seen the video they are from.) he is dancing with
someone shorter also.   But even so he is quite adept at performing intricate
steps while in close embrace.   In a broader sense though, tango de salon includes
close-embrace dancing in general, and not doing open-style figures, and my
reference is to that also.   My larger point was that the close embrace
tradition has never really gone away and is still danced the same today as it was
then, including the personal styles of its interpreters.

Cheers,
Charles