[Tango-L] How tango evolves

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Tue Nov 25 06:06:33 EST 2008

If other cultures insist on taking credit for transforming and
evolving tango, they should stop calling it "Argentine" and call it
something else instead, like "no longer Argentine tango", or
something like that.

The ballroom dancers that took tango, cleaned it up and made it their
own at least had the decency to be honest about it and gave it its
own name - American or European tango, instead of claiming that it
continues to be Argentine tango, only  new and improved.

Maybe Argentine tango can be distinguished in all of its
manifestations by labeling the version - do you dance Argentine tango
1.0 (tango antiguo) or 10.1 (never been to Argentina ) version? :)

Nina