[Tango-L] How tango evolves

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 24 16:48:48 EST 2008

Trini de Pittsburgh wrote:

- Elegance

The best tango dancers are indeed very elegant.  But I question how much of this is style,
and how much is simply practical.  I.e.

It works best if:

1.  I keep my head up.  That way I don't bump into others.
2.  I walk with my chest forward and step off a straight leg.  That way the woman really
    feels my intention.
3.  I step straight ahead, and not wander around.  That way I am not pulling the woman
    off her axis without intention.
4.  I keep my left hand relatively still and positioned just so.  That way the woman
    is comfortable, and the information that I convey to her is not confounded with
    noise coming from a waving/pumping arm.

Etc.  Sounds quite practical, yet as a byproduct, quite elegant.

David