[Tango-L] Article on Argentina

MACFroggy@aol.com MACFroggy at aol.com
Mon Nov 24 16:01:56 EST 2008

Hi Barbara,
Since you asked, here's what I posted on my blog:

I don't agree with all of Lesser's points of view, about how Argentina
(Buenos Aires) is so different from the U.S.

For example, Argentinians are ethnically similar, but tend to live in
"ethnic" barrios where they speak their original languages at home. Excuse me? What
about the Little Italys, Mexican and Cuban barrios, Little Tokyos, China Towns,
the black ghettos that still exist today, Armenian, Jewish neighborhoods
(such as Fairfax in L.A.) etc. that are found in most large U.S. cities?

His points about the increase of crime and the disappearance of the middle
class could be about any big city. He talks about two economies--one for the
rich and one for the poor. This is new?
About how school teachers and other professionals in Argentina have to work
more than one job. Hello? This has been true in the States for quite a while
now for corporations and institutions to avoid paying benefits and a standard
wage. Everyone is an "independent contractor."

But Lesser is so right about the corruption of Argentine governments, and
perhaps that's the reason for all its problems in 2008. No, the people don't plan
ahead, no, they really don't care to work very much or hard, no, they have no
hope for the future. But is it their fault?

I do agree with Lesser's conclusions. And some of his points are very
thought-provoking. It's well worth a read.

Saludos!
cherie
http://tangocherie.blogspot.com/