[Tango-L] Apilado an extinct creature?

burak ozkosem buraktango at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 12:52:50 EST 2008

Dear Mario,
I'm hoping that you are dancing Tango as intensive as posting to
tango-L, here is my perspective on Apilado style.

The major obstacle for Apilado is the tango embrace itself. If you
take a longitudinal section of the embrace, you will see that by
drawing a line from the axis to the left end(inside) of the embrace
and right end(outside) of the embrace,  left and right arms have
totally different angles between partners.

Outside of the embrace is closer than inside of the embrace. This is
one of the reasons why Argentine Tango is a "right handed" dance which
causes the counter clock wise "ronda" as the line of dance.
Since the distance between outside shoulders and inside shoulders is
not the same, this makes the "button to button" closing or chest to
chest closing more difficult and uncomfortable for several body types.

Of course there are several ways to  fix this issue, for instance, you
can break the embrace, so shoulders can align with same distance
between the partners.

Other obstacles:
 -The effect of height/weight proportion differences.
 -Very limited Tango Vocabulary which also causes repetition and lack
of tools to improvise.
 -Very limited sight for leader (right eye blindfolded)
 -Very good musicality required (which not many leaders have)
 -Fragile posture/body alignment

All these obstacle make Apilado style very specific and difficult.

BTW: I don't know where you got the idea of "one axis" in Apilado,
there is no such thing unless you hold your partner on top of your
head while you are dancing or she is stepping on your shoes all the
time during the dance.

Burak
Chicago