[Tango-L] Apilado an extinct creature?

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 24 11:24:07 EST 2008

I recently received this information off line from someone who seems to know his stuff.
It is about the Abrazo Apilado and I was quite suprised by what I read;

" Mario, the use of the apilado embrace outside a few specific moves is very controversial.  I think few, if any, use it throughout a dance.  It is used in specific moves, like those involving the tent such as the volcada, push, et al.  It may be used more in performance Tango, but I don't see it in most social Tango (except for those few specific moves)." - el

Maybe, this is the problem I had been having for so long with my lead...is anyone dancing
apilado all the time?
All opinions on this will be appreciated...I just want to say that my three best experiences
dancing Tango were when I danced the Milonga with three different experienced dancers
and we definately used apilado (one axis) for the entire dance each time...  I've been looking for a similar experience since but maybe I'm chasing the phantom of the opera??